It is week 3 in downtown Historic Annapolis, and we have until Thursday to dig in our sites and then it is of to Wye House for the last 3 weeks of digging. Although many of the units are coming to sterile clay levels while their units come to a close, my unit (28) is just starting to get exciting!
After a not so exciting start in the basement of the James Holliday House, out unit had to relocate to a 4 by 4 unit in the backyard. Our T.A. Kate knew that this unit would have artifacts because in winter of 2009 they put a 1 by 1 foot STP (Shovel Test Pit) at the edge of the unit. They found artifacts and many different layers of strata in this unit. They also found a layer of brick about a foot and a half down and did not dig further beyond this when they did their test pit, so we are excited to see what is underneath the brick layer. Our unit had 2 different features to start off. One feature was a 2 by 4 wooden slate that was half into the unit, half in the air. This slate was called a feature and the area in front of the slate was called a Level because the wooden slate had blocked some of the run off from natural processes that happen over time. We found some ceramic pieces, glass, some nails, metal, mortar, bones, teeth, and a tiny glass bottle that looked like it may have been an old medicine bottle all in this level. When we got to level D, we uncovered a mixed silty clay layer. This layer was not too difficult to dig up, however it is very deep. We spent almost 2 days digging it up and had some reinforcements form the Cornhill Units.We found some bones, class, and ceramics in this level but not in large amounts.
Continue Reading »