Studying Abroad in Style in Spain

College is the time to try new things, whether that’s learning to cook or traveling to a new country. This month, I talked to two QUEST students who both chose to study abroad in the lovely city of Madrid, Spain for the semester! Both Bioengineering majors in Cohort 38 studying at Universidad Carlos III de Madrid, Fiona Sheridan and Hannah Lee had nothing but amazing things to say about their experiences so far.

Fiona Sheridan (Cohort 38) on the island of Ischia

Sheridan made the decision to study abroad to step out of her comfort zone. “I’ve only traveled outside of North America once and that was when I was really little. I thought study[ing] abroad was a great opportunity for me to experience traveling and a new culture.”

Lee, on the other hand, had always had this idea in her mind: “Coming this semester was the perfect timing for my four year plan & post COVID. Being able to come to a new country and take [bioengineering] courses and stay on track while still gaining new cultural experiences has been such an amazing opportunity.”

Hannah Lee (Cohort 38) at Plaza de Toros de Las Ventas in Madrid. Spain

They both identified eating times and food culture to be the biggest shock when adjusting to a new country. “I would say I normally eat dinner around 9pm here,” according to Lee. Additionally, Sheridan noticed “meals are more about talking and meeting up with friends while enjoying food. That means that meals last longer and are more leisurely than back at home.”

While studying abroad, both also had opportunities to visit other countries. Lee was really excited about her trip to Morocco! “I didn’t know anyone else going, and I made so many new friends while on the trip! Besides new friendships, I was able to see a completely different culture and landscape than anything I had seen before. We spent a night in tents in the Sahara desert and rode camels to get to our camping site! The stars were absolutely breathtaking & the desert looked just like my MacBook screensaver.” Sheridan enjoyed her time in Italy, where she went to the Amalfi Coast and an island off Naples called Ischia.

Lee in the Sahara Desert

When asked about advice for younger QUESTees who are interested in studying abroad, both had a lot to say!

Sheridan “can’t recommend study[ing] abroad enough. Take any opportunity that is given to experience a new culture and place, whether it is for a week, winter term, or an entire semester. It will be worth it.”

Lee suggested “[planning] ahead and speak with your advisors about study abroad opportunities. With fairly strict course loads and plans it can be hard to fit in studying abroad but [she] definitely thinks the experience is worth it.”

Sheridan and Lee on the Universidad Carlos III de Madrid campus

To anyone who was considering Spain as a potential option for studying abroad, you heard it here first – extremely rewarding and even more beautiful! I know that I can’t wait to see more pictures and hear more stories when they return.