What Is The Proper Way To Be A Feminist?

This is an insight written by Meredith Friedland on the recent Bahá’í Chair for the World Peace Annual Lecture ‘Breaking the Spell of the Welfare State?’: Public Culture in Neoliberalism’s Gender Regime held on September 30, 2021. 

Professor Angela McRobbie in her talk ‘Breaking the Spell of the Welfare State? ‘: Public Culture in Neoliberalism’s Gender Regime” discusses the changes to feminism over time and how women have reacted to the expectations put on them by societal norms as well as the feminist movement.

Women have constantly had to work to prove themselves to society, that they are as capable as men. Professor McRobbie talked about molding yourself to heterosexual desire and fitting into the societal role of a woman. Women were seen as failures if they didn’t have a husband or a family, seen as unwanted by a man and therefore unwanted by society.  To combat this narrative women tried to prove themselves as capable outside of the home, pushing for degrees and jobs. Women had to show they were smart, and strong, and capable, outside of a household role. 

What stood out to me was the topic of competitive female success. The idea of being the perfect woman, the perfect face of the feminist movement. This is seen as a wealthy, educated, employed white woman who can balance her successful career on top of being an amazing parent. Social media has projected this ideal, promoting women who have the perfect bodies, the perfect career, and the perfect happy family. Through trying to prove women were as capable as men women who had different life aspirations have often been left behind. 

Women are now competing with more than just what society expects of them but with other women as well. Not only is there pressure from outside the movement but within the movement too. Are you doing enough for the feminist agenda? If you stay at home with children are you a powerful woman? Do you have the perfect body that fits the ever-changing societal standard? These questions form in the minds of young women and begin to create a pressure to be perfect from within yourself.

If a young woman must drop out of school to help raise her siblings is she seen as less than? Is a woman who’s strong enough to prioritize her family needs is left out of the feminist movement because she’s not breaking the glass ceiling of corporate America? If a woman wants to raise a family and take care of her children is she seen as not being ambitious? As she is seen as trying to fit into societal expectations of a woman?

Feminism to me means the freedom to pave my future in whatever way I choose. To decide whether or not I want to have a family. To pursue a strong career if I choose but be accepted if that’s not what I want. I have been taught my whole life to be a strong woman I must graduate college and work my way up in a career. Something only available to me because of the economic status and family support. 

A woman should be free to define what feminism means to her. Women of all backgrounds with all different dreams should also be the face of what a woman should and can be. 

About the Author:

Meredith is a junior at the University of Maryland majoring in Marketing and minoring in Technology Entrepreneurship. After college, she hopes to travel the world and learn more about different countries and cultures. Meredith wants to combine her interest in business with her passion for helping others.