Blog post 1

My first reaction to the quality of some of the articles was puzzlement over the quality classification of some of them. For example, the Digital Preservation article seemed to have few content gaps. There are certainly some sections that could expand upon their particular topic, but I felt like the page overall had a pretty complete outline to adequately explain to the layperson what digital preservation was about. Yet the article was labeled as Start-class, the same quality label that was applied to the Digital Curation article, which I found very wanting in detail and completeness. I think the Digital Curation article could benefit from an explanation of the core concepts/activities of digital curation, as well as an explanation of how it differs in definition from digital preservation. I also feel like the Approaches section of the article is awkwardly implemented and seemingly random in what is included there.

The Digital Preservation WikiProject seems like a wonderful way to coordinate the efforts of multiple volunteers. And personally, I think that effort appears to have paid off specifically for the Digital Preservation article. Though it doesn’t look to me like there has been a great deal of recent activity on their stated goal of addressing shortcomings in related topic articles, as evidenced by the quality of articles such as the Digital Curation and Digital Asset Management articles. I think the Open Tasks section of the Digital Preservation WikiProject could be turned into a more specific list of articles for volunteers to address. That might help refocus efforts on filling the knowledge gaps that still exist in related topic articles.

On an academic level, the process of evaluating an article seems relatively straightforward. On a personal level I must admit I’m less fond of the old-school web forum style discussion areas. Users seem to regularly get snippy and pompous. Several years ago I stopped patronizing such forums in my personal life for that very reason, so this part of Wikipedia is an exercise in patience.