Blog Post Week 4

I am working on the article about Elizabeth Yakel due to my interest in working on the biography of an important figure in the field of digital curation. This interest stems from my lack of knowledge about these people. My professors must find them important enough to make me read some of their writings, but who are they to me? I want to have my own relationship with them and come to my own conclusions, and I want them to be more than just a name on a paper.

The big problem with article about Yakel is that it lacks insightful content. It is mainly just a listing of basic facts, like her job title, education, and awards (similar to her C.V.). For the most part, it does not tell why–why should I care about her if I am interested in digital curation? It is one thing to just see a list of awards and publications, it is another to assign value and meaning to them.

I would like the article to place her better in the field. What are her scholarly contributions? Why was she chosen for these awards, honors, grants? Ultimately, I want someone new to digital curation to be able to read her Wikipedia entry and understand why she is a person they should know, be able to locate a list of her important articles and writings, and be motivated to read more by her.

One thought on “Blog Post Week 4

1. This looks good. Will look forward to hearing more about how you plan to approach the article revisions. A select bibliography of articles, or even an annotated bibliography that notes awards, etc, would be useful. You may also look in professional sources, like the SAA website, or information science encyclopedias, to contextualize the research.