Week 4: Data Curation

I have been assigned the Data Curation article, which has been rated as Start-Class on the quality scale (a fair rating in my opinion), and Mid-importance on the importance scale (I think it could gain importance if it were of a higher quality). There are several potentially confusing aspects to this article.

For example, it does not include a link to the Digital Curation page anywhere (this is a content gap), although the reverse is true. While Data Curation and Digital Curation are not interchangeable, they are related, so I do think they should both link to each other. Andy, since you’re working on the Digital Curation article, I’m curious what your thoughts are on this?

The Data Curation page is less library-specific, and its opening definition much broader, than the Digital Curation page. While the Data Curation page is listed under the Information Science category, it is also listed as within the scope of the WikiProject Computational Biology. Unlike the Digital Curation page, the Data Curation page is mainly about data in non-library contexts, but does go on to cite a definition from the University of Illinois’ Graduate School of Library and Information Science.

The sentence “The exact curation process undertaken within any organization depends on . . . how much noise the data contains . . .” is not clear about what it means by “noise”. Does it mean superfluous data, data that can be discarded? More precision would be helpful here.

There are also some positives about this article, such as the number of links to other Wikipedia articles. The link to the Data page is especially important because, to learn about Data Curation, it is essential to first understand the definition of data itself. However, the broad definition of curation does not link to the Wikipedia page on Curation (another content gap), though the Curation page does link to both the Data Curation and Digital Curation pages.

I fixed some of the grammar in the Data Curation article, but I’m still reading through all of the related linked pages, continuing to identify content gaps or overlap, and making notes of references to add to cover these gaps.