Final Wrap-Up of Taiwan Winter 2019 Abroad

Greetings! Since my last blog post, I have attended more classes and visited the Tamkang University’s official campus location in Tamsui. Today we toured the Yehliu Geopark in northern Taiwan. During our visit to the geopark today we also stopped at JiuFen, which is known for being in many movies and being the inspiration for the popular movie, Spirited Away. In this blog, I plan to continue to compare the nuances between American and Taiwanese culture when it comes to university campuses and natural parks.

Although the train ride to Tamkang in Tamsui was longer than most of the places we visit, this was understandable due to the amount of scenery around the school. I found it so interesting that although Tamkang did not have the same layout as UMD, there was plenty of hills that made walking around very tiring. An ironic trait that both campuses seem to be known for. The Tamkang campus, much like UMD, was very beautiful with its small ponds and garden features spread throughout. Our student ambassador, Eric, showed us a small pond with a waterfall that was located in front of their business school. He said people will push their friends in it on the friend’s birthday. This reminded me of our McKeldin fountain since so many people go in it, though not necessarily for their birthday. Below is a picture of it.

With regards to the natural parks, I unfortunately have not been to as many natural parks in the US as I would like to. However, one interesting feature that I noticed at the geopark today is that there were guards standing on the grounds that would blow a whistle at anyone who sat, touched, or was too close to the structure. I found this concept very effective since most people immediately would move away and not repeat the action. I have never seen something like this happen in the US. However, again I have not been to that many national parks so it might be a practice we are also using.
This has been such an enriching experience and I am so grateful to have had this opportunity. I learned so much about Taiwan, the people in my study abroad group, and surprisingly about myself as well. Just like this pond at Tamkang University reminded me of McKeldin Mall, I am thinking of and ready to go home. Overall I would recommend studying abroad to other students but would warn them to be fully prepared for the full duration of it – it can seem longer than you realize once you arrive 🙂 Last advice to prospective students too is to apply for scholarships!!! The Education Abroad office is not the only one that can award you with scholarships (Smith School has them too!) so apply, apply, apply!
Best wishes ~~Liz