Mia in Hong Kong–Places to go!

It’s my first time to work as a fulltime employee in a formal company. I found that time is so limited during the weekdays, because I work from 8:45 in the morning to 6 in the afternoon and spend 2 hours on the metro every day. If I’m not in the office, I must be in the hotel or on the way to the office. Therefore, my favorite places are closely related to these two areas.

The first one is Red Tea Café, which is like a “dining hall” for all of the employees in our buildings.It’s a traditional Hong Kong restaurant, being popular for its dessert.

My favorite one is pineapple bun, which is a kind of soft bread in the pineapple shape with a crispy layer over it. I’m always so sleepy on the way to the work, even depressed, but feel satisfied when I arrive at the Red Tea Café to get a pineapple bun. Sometimes it means the end of the daily work, because I usually get a bun after work as my dinner.

The second place is the lobby of the hotel. As time for hanging out is limited, my friends and I often buy some drinks and sit in the lobby to chat. There was one time that we spent almost two hours sitting there and talking about our life in different universities. I enjoyed listening to their stories and sharing mines. It’s this place that give me a chance to get familiar with my new friends and keep me away from loneliness in this city. Therefore, I think I would miss this place when I get back home.

The last one is Causeway bay. If we are able to hang out, Causeway bay will be the first choice. It’s like City Center in Washington DC with bunch of popular restaurants, local snacks and shopping malls. It’s also the place that I visited every time when I came to Hong Kong before. All those entertainments make me feel like I could take a break from the busy work life, enjoying the pleasure from shopping and food as a visitor.

There are three weeks left for this internship. I still have time to stop by these three places, but I’m also looking forward to exploring more interesting areas.

5 Responses

1. Jeff Wexler says:

First off, a 2 hour metro sounds like a very tiring way to start the day. I am glad to hear you have some places along trip to make it a bit better. The areas around your work sound quite exciting and full of life.

2. sangyu07 says:

Causeway Bay is our favorite place to visit for sure (especially for Tiger Sugar)! I know you spend a lot of time commuting every day. I hope we get to spend exploring more places that we haven’t been to yet for the remaining time here. I actually want to visit your company area and try that pineapple bun that you always talk about too!

3. Sanjeev Jariwala says:

Not gonna lie, but I could really use a pineapple bun right now! My work snack is actually very similar as it is a bread bun with a fillings such as cranberry + cheese or chocolate + banana. It’s very difficult to not get one each day at work! Enjoy the last 3 weeks!

4. clove1 says:

Its interesting to see that other companies that people are interning at each seem to have their own unique version of a dining hall. The desserts at your place look much better than ones that are offered at mine though! Causeway bay seems like it would be the perfect spot for a night out on the town or even just to explore during the day, which is a great part of being in a city. an 8:45 to 6:00 workday sounds rough, but at least there are the weekends to relax and get to be able to see new places. Try to see as much as you can while you’re there!

5. tdoddapa says:

It seems like you’re really experiencing a lot of the local culture! How have you liked living in such a busy city? Even though you seem to have a long work day/commute, it’s good that you’re able to spend time with the new friends that you have made.