Living in Year 2030

Ever since I entered college, one of my goals was to study abroad. No matter the destination or the timing during my four years of college, I’ve always wanted to experience what it’s like to live and learn in an entirely foreign environment – one with completely different traditions and culture. I’ve spent twenty years living in Maryland and studying abroad seems like the perfect opportunity to not only experience something out of my comfort zone, but also provide me a chance to see the world.

However, while studying abroad is undoubtedly eye-opening and unique, I won’t lie and say I didn’t have a few reservations at first. It’s always hard to leave friends and family behind. By studying abroad, you’ve left the support system you’ve had all these years in order to explore the unknown and challenge yourself. Without your support system, it’s not hard to imagine drastic scenarios involving your safety, health, and wellness abroad. You’re worried about missing out on your friends’ lives and you’ll feel homesick. You’re afraid of running out of money abroad and being unable to retrieve the necessary funds. The culture shock and the language barrier will seem daunting and you’re scared that you won’t fit in.

Yet, despite all these initial doubts, I couldn’t be more excited at the chance to study abroad. I’ve already signed up for a six-hour tour of Singapore with other international students studying at Nanyang Technological University next semester. I’ve begun planning trips to Bali and Australia with other UMD students going to the same institution as me. I’ve decided that I’m going to join the kickboxing, dancing, and cooking classes offered by the dorm I’m going to be living in. I’m going to make the most of my trip to Asia by visiting Shanghai and Taipei, and if time permits, Korea and Japan. I’ve packed basically my entire life into two suitcases and a backpack. Most of all, I can’t wait to see NTU’s beautiful architectural feats and the world’s first self-driving electric shuttle buses that NTU has launched in partnership with Volvo. I wonder what it’s like to live in year 2030.

Studying abroad is not just about living in another country and traveling. It’s also about gaining independence, learning to adapt, making lifelong friends, acquiring new languages, and being open-minded. In these next five months, I’ll most likely learn how to budget for the first time, join new extracurricular clubs, travel to nearby countries, eat tons of food, and practice my rusty Chinese.

It’s okay to be scared at first, but don’t forget that you only have five months. Make it count.