My Journey Across the World

First semester has ended, the new year has arrived, and the realization that I am going abroad has officially kicked in. This is something I have been looking forward to through the stresses of first semester, the disappointments of the Maryland football season, and the cold weather of winter. But it will all be worth it. In just a few short weeks, I will be spending 24 hours flying across the world to begin my semester at the University of New South Wales in Sydney, Australia.

Although I am excited to embark on this incredible once in a lifetime opportunity, I do have some apprehensions. To start, the time difference between Sydney and my friends and family on the east coast is 16 hours ahead. This means when I am having dinner at 7pm, my parents will be sleeping at 3am. This means when I am in class at 2pm, my friends will be out having fun or doing homework at 10pm the previous night. It will definitely be an adjustment figuring out times to catch up with friends and family, but hopefully, I’ll be able to find a routine. Another concern is the current weather in Sydney. In recent weeks and months, there have been terrible brushfires across Australia that have blanketed Sydney in a thick layer of smoke. Air quality in November and December has reached hazardous conditions for 28 days out of the 2 months. This has affected tourism at large in Sydney and may even affect my ability to attend classes. I am hoping the firefighters are able to tame the fires over the next month to keep Sydney safe.

Living abroad will be a great opportunity for my personal growth. I have never been out of the country for this long of a period and being literally across the world will test my independence. This experience will test my time management, money management, and planning skills all while being immersed in a foreign culture.

There are many reasons why I chose to study abroad in Sydney. To start, it is really far, and I figured I wouldn’t be going back to that area of the world any time soon. Another reason is my love for adventure. Going to Sydney in their summer will mean plenty of time for outdoor adventures and experiences. One last reason is my desire to be in an English-speaking country. I think there are pros and cons of immersing myself in a culture so similar to the United States, but I think it can be an incredible learning experience. The more I plan out the places I want to visit, the more excited I get.

When I think about studying abroad in Sydney, I think about much more than just the incredible education I will be receiving. I think about the new friends I will meet, the thrilling adventures I will partake in, and the fun places I will visit. I firmly believe it is important to take advantage of as many opportunities as possible and having an outgoing mentality. I plan on going abroad with a yes mentality and trying to seize every day.