Student Spotlight: Audrey Stultz

Student Spotlight

Audrey Stultz  | Cass Business School  | Fall 2019

1) Share an experience where you interacted with someone in your host culture in a way that taught you something. Describe the experience and what you learned about yourself, your host country, or the world in general.

I became friends with the students in one of my class projects, and they invited me to join them for a group dinner. Our dinner was comprised of a notably diverse group of students, with the 10 of us representing different universities, majors, native languages, socioeconomic backgrounds – and over 6 different countries. It was fascinating that despite these many differences, we shared many similar interests and experiences, and we all faced the joys and challenges of being a student with our futures before us. It was such a positive dynamic, and this group of friends became very dear to me. I realized that though the world is a huge place, in many ways we’re all much closer together than we think. 

2) What advice would you give to students who are preparing to go abroad to help them make the most out of their study abroad experiences?

Be proactive in building meaningful new friendships around the things that matter most to you. My Christian faith is the most important part of my life, so I was proactive in seeking out a great church before I arrived.  This supportive community allowed me to continue to enjoy and grow in an important area of my life while abroad. I was able to develop meaningful friendships that deeply enriched my experience and made London truly feel more like a home. Interestingly, this was also how I got to experience the most authentic, local British culture beyond the student crowd. I’d encourage fellow students to ask what matters most to them, and then be intentional in building community around that. 

3) What was it about your program specifically that fit best with your personal goals over other programs?

While I had initially planned to study abroad in another city, I eventually realized that London was the location that held the most personal significance to me. I’ve always had a deeply-held interest in British history, literature, and film, and grew up drinking British-style tea every day. Further, I’ve always been fascinated by the U.K.’s distinctive academic structure, and my professional ambitions include someday working in London. Thus, this specific program provided me with an invaluable opportunity to live in London and further develop these personal and professional interests, while applying my cultural background knowledge. 

4) What concerns/fears did you have about studying abroad, and how did you overcome them?

One of my concerns was adjusting to the U.K’s academic structure, which differs from that of the U.S. After years of going through college with established study routines and strategies, I didn’t quite know what to expect in this new academic environment. While my classes abroad had far less assignments, each assignment comprised a significant portion of the final grade – which was rather intimidating. However, working with other students in my group projects and not being afraid to ask questions helped me adjust. I was grateful for the opportunity to apply my previously acquired academic approach while experiencing alternative approaches to learning.