What I learned about Women in Japan & Singapore

Preparing for this course we discussed the cultures in both Japan & Singapore.  Knowing that Japan has major successful manufacturing companies like Toyota (then learning that Toyota will be sponsoring the building of a new city…) I expected a very modern workforce as I think both men and women can contribute significantly.  As we prepared I found that in Japan women are not as present or represented in the work place.  I’m told this is due to the cultural expectations of Japanese men and women along with desires of Japanese women.  I did notice this disparity while walking around and visiting companies in Japan.  There were loads of men in suits walking around in Tokyo as we walked around each day.  Women were present in our presentations in Tokyo but men were more prevalent especially in speaking roles.

In Singapore on the other hand there were so many women!  Walking around the financial district I saw similar numbers of both men and women appearing in work wear taking their lunch break or walking into the office.  In addition we had women drive our presentations (or were the only presenters) at some of our company visits here including Antler.  Speaking with some peers who work with professionals in Singapore I was told that Singapore incentives women to stay (or return) to the work place after having children understanding that they need to utilize all of their resources especially with such a small country with such big things happening.

In the end as I am thinking about the differences between Japan & Singapore from a cultural and business stand point I hope to see Japan move forward in opening up their society and businesses to both women and foreigners to they can continue to drive growth in their economy and capitalize on the innovation they are investing in.  With a decreasing population this can make a large impact.  Although Singapore is a “young” business hub they are making such progress that I hope other economies and cultures can take a page from their book.  I was surprised to see that Japan fit the stereotype we studied but I understand women can and will choose their fate along with support from their government and business owners.  Change is not a quick or easy thing and culture can be ingrained in us for generations.

I can’t believe my time is over in this global studies program but I enjoyed every minute!